- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I grew-up in Rochester, MN and had always been a "good" kid. I attended a church where doing good things and being baptized was taught. Salvation by grace through faith in Jesus Christ was also taught, but not as much as works-oriented salvation (Ephesians 2:8-9). During my senior year of high school (1994-95), I started questioning things; in particular, my relationship with the one and only God. During that year my Sunday school teachers dwelt on the topic: "What do you believe?" I always thought I was a Christian, but I didn't know why. After looking at some passages in the Scriptures, I discovered that those who are Christians are believers in Christ; they have faith in Him and His finished, redemptive work. I had never realized this before; this sparked my curiousity.
I was never the most popular person in school, but I had some friends. A major reason I chose North Dakota State University is because I didn't know any one who went there. I wanted to put my high school years behind and focus on the future. The future for me was four years of college, a good job to buy neat things, and have some kids and a wife somewhere along the way. Although quite self-centered I was curious about the things of the Lord. While standing in line for supper early in the school year, a Christian organization collecting surveys on eternal life; I thought I would fill one out. There were about five questions and the last one was: "Are you 100% sure you are going to heaven?" I thought about it, and answered "No" because I was only 99% sure; the form also asked me for my name and phone number.
Around the same time, I filled out another survey by another organization. I put my name on their form as well; within a week or two, a couple of guys called me and asked if they could spend some time with me. I said, "Sure" and they came by and told me the things of the Lord. I agreed with what they had to say about salvation, and I even answered their questions quite well. Instead of leaving me with conviction of my sin, they made it sound like I was going to heaven; at that time I was not.
A few days after that, I got a call from a member of the first organization whose survey I filled out. The man on the phone invited me to a Bible study; I went to the Bible study and enjoyed it. Only a few days after the Bible study the guy who called me on the phone, stopped to my dorm room to talk to me about salvation. What he had to say was more convicting than what I had been told by my other visitors. He told me that I could do a million good things, but still go to hell. I could be baptized, take communion, and even go to church, but not be saved. He did not just tell me these things, but showed me verses in the Bible which proved his point; it was not him doing the convicting, but God's Holy Spirit through His Word!
Believe it or not, there is even another twist in this story. My resident assistant (RA) was a Christian had a Bible study in the dorm's lounge. I didn't know the Bible too well, but I thought since I was learning about it at the other study, I could teach those at this study. I had the attitude, "Whatever you can do, I can do better." I expected to go to the study with answers and tell the other people there all about the Bible; boy, was I wrong! I came thinking I knew something and left knowing I knew nothing. The others at the study knew God's Word better than me, my friends, or even my former pastor. What they said seemed to make sense, and when combined with verses in the Bible, it made total sense.
In the meantime, I was still getting weekly visits from the man from the other study; the more he came, the more I wanted to learn, and the more God was beginning to conquer my wretched heart (Genesis 8:21; Isaiah 64:6).
After the second time I came to my RA's study, he invited me to the church he attended. I hadn't yet gone "to church" since being at college, and was eager to find a good fellowship where I could spend my four years of college. I had never really liked going "to church," but thought it was something I should do. For 18 years I had played the game of sitting, standing, and listening, but not learning.
When I came to the church that Sunday, I was greeted by a man in his early 40's, who immediately asked me, "So, how long have you known the Lord?"
I stumbled around and finally answered, "A while."
The church really didn't hold a "service" as much as it was a "meeting"; a meeting of remembrance (1 Corinthians 11:25). The focus was on the Person and work of the Lord Jesus Christ, and these people seemed to mean what they were saying; their relationship with God was dear to their hearts.
I didn't really change too much that next week, but I got another visit from my friend. This time what he had to say seemed to really convince me that I was not saved and needed to get saved. God's Spirit was truly working in my hear; He was preparing me for salvation. I wanted to get saved in my room and not have to go somewhere, but I thought I would wait and get saved sometime later. But the Lord was beating on my head showing me that I might not have much time. What if I would have died during that time? I would be in everlasting torment right now. I was a sinner and my sin demanded payment. Either I had to die eternally for my sin or accept the free gift Jesus gave to me (Romans 3:10, 3:23, 6:23).
The next Sunday I attended the same church and again saw the simplicity of life. After the meeting, two older gentlemen introduced themselves to me and asked, "So how long have you been a Christian?"
"You mean saved?" I asked.
They said, "Yes."
I paused and stuttered, "I am not saved."
Their faces of joy seemed to be saddened and one replied, "Well, at least you are honest."
This reaction made me think. I began to wonder, "Is this really that important? Does it determine my eternity?" The obvious answer was: "YES!" That afternoon, I was reading my Bible and came across verse after verse that showed me the grace of God. That afternoon I accepted Jesus Christ as my Savior. I didn't say a special prayer, I didn't say any words verbatim from a tract, but I did make the decision in my heart to trust Jesus Christ as my Savior. I had believed in my heart that God raised Jesus from the dead. I confessed with my mouth to my God that Jesus is all-graceful; He is all-sufficient and I wanted Him to be my Savior. My life was changed, I was a new creature (2 Corinthians 5:17).
Salvation is not the only thing the Lord God has shown me; I have received blessing upon blessing since my new birth (John 3:3). His Word is now exciting, His people are now my family, and He is my God, Savior, and Friend. You wouldn't believe how awesome God's Word is! It is not just an old "book" that we can learn geography from, but it is God-breathed and the only book in which the perfect life of Jesus Christ is recorded!
About four months after my new life in Christ Jesus, I was baptized at a youth conference. I had felt that it was something I should do since the Lord Jesus Himself commanded it (Matthew 28:18-20). Baptism was not required for my salvation, but it did show others my dying and raising again with Christ; it is a symbol, not salvation (Romans 6:3-4).
The Lord God has also given me a wife. Mary and I began courting during the fall of 1997. The Lord has answered several specific prayers since we have known each other. He has shown me many things through my Mary. Most of all He has shown me my selfishness; I live for myself too much. The Lord is still refining me in that area. "But He knoweth the way that I take: when He hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold" (Job 23:10).
What greater feeling is there than that of forgiveness. There is no joy greater than knowing that you are right with the God of the universe. I invite you to repent of your sin and trust in the Lord Jesus for your eternal salvation. His death on Calvary's cross was all that needs to be done. "It is finished!" was His cry; the pardon is only there if you accept it. He is able, are you willing?
No comments:
Post a Comment