So this topic has been heavy on my mind over the past many weeks. I believe Mary and I have grown closer throughout this time. We have been encouraged to serve one another more, to love one another deeper. We know we are just dust, we cannot trust our marriage will always be strong "just because"; we must work at it day by day, fleshing out our love, building our lives on the rock (Matthew 7:24-25).
This has also hit very close to home for our Elizabeth. She has had to learn things in her early age that I wish she had never known this young. But in her own way she is resolved to stand up for the permanence of marriage. Tonight she wrote a sweet poem to honor God's plan of one man, one woman, for life. Her innocence should not be thought naivety, for I believe the Lord would desire we have a simple view of marriage, a resolve that would not be torn down by the crumbling homes around us...
Marriage is like a jewel or a pearl
Marriage was designed for you to be together forever and ever.
Marriage was designed for you to love each other forever and ever.
Not for one night and then to have a fight.
Not for one year and then to tear.
Not for ten years, but forever and til death do you part.
If you had a jewel you would clean it - do that with your marriage
-- Elizabeth Marie
No comments:
Post a Comment